Reading through some of the posts on Whirlpool and one bright spark made the observation about JB Hifi’s Prepaid Mobile offer and its international call rates. JB Hifi launched their prepaid mobile offer a few months ago. It is essentially a Telstra promotion using the many features of Telstra’s Simplicity Plan but with a few extras.
JB Hifi’s Plan offers:
- 12c/min calls
- no flagfall
- 12c TXT
- 50c/MB data
Recharge $20 and get 50MB for 30 days, $30 for 100MB and 60 days, $50 for 200MB and 90 days and finally $100 for 500MB and 180 days.
Now in terms of international calls, JB Hifi offers the following:
- 35c per international TXT
- Calls to US are 39c/min plus a 35c flagfall
- Call to NZ, Canada and UK are 69c/min plus a 35c flagfall
- Calls to China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Philippines, India, Thailand, Russia and lots of others are 89c/min plus a 35c flagfall.
Compare this to what Simplicity offers and you have:
- 20c international TXT
- 15c/min for calls to Bangladesh, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Germany, South Korea, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, USA, Vietnam. No flagfall apples.
- 20c/min for calls to Ireland, New Zealand, Philippines, South Africa. No flagfall applies.
- 89c/min for everywhere else.
So whilst the JB Hifi offer is slightly better than Telstra’s Simplicity in some respects, in terms of international call rates, Simplicity is quite a bit cheaper.